Looking to Make a Difference?
The Kansas Enrichment Network, in partnership with the Afterschool Alliance, is seeking an AmeriCorps VISTA to assist in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) outreach in Kansas.
The Afterschool Alliance and the Network want all children to have access to engaging opportunities around STEM and to learn about career possibilities in these areas. Afterschool and summer learning programs look to strengthen their services in this area.
A special emphasis will be directed toward underserved populations and areas needing better access.
Member Responsibilities will include:
- Refine the Network’s existing system for cross-program data collection and expand dissemination practices.
- Develop and disseminate STEM-related resources that directly support out-of-school time providers and their youth.
- Aid the Network in the development and pilot of a STEM training curriculum facilitation and instruction for out-of-school time staff.
- Work with Network to develop and administer high-quality professional development to out-of-school time staff centering STEM programming and evaluation.
- Work to ensure a seamless transition of knowledge and duties to future VISTA(s).
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be a US citizen or legal permanent resident of the U.S.
- A Bachelor’s Degree is preferred, however, some college combined with work experience may substitute for a degree
- Significant experience with community service and/or non-profit organization work
- Must be available to serve full-time for one year
- Ability to research, analyze, and synthesize information to make strong recommendations for best effective practices
- Strong decision making and problem solving abilities
- Organized, self-starter who is able to take personal responsibility and initiative
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-through skills
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and projects at the same time
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with diverse groups of individuals
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Computer proficiency with emphasis on MS word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Internet Use
About AmeriCorps VISTA
AmeriCorps VISTA is the national service program designed to specifically fight poverty. Founded as Volunteers in Service to America in 1965 and incorporated into the AmeriCorps network of programs in 1993, VISTA has been on the front lines in the fight against poverty in America for more than 40 years. VISTA Members commit to serve full-time for a year at a community based organization or institution working to fight poverty.
Member benefits include:
- Choice of a $5,550 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or a $1,500 End of Service Stipend
- Modest living allowance
- Healthcare benefits
- Child care assistance, if eligible
- Personal/Medical leave
- Relocation allowance
- Liability insurance
- Post-service federal employment incentives and opportunities
- Mileage reimbursement for travel between communities
- Reimbursement of lodging expenses and per diem for required travel